Search This Blog

Monday, April 19, 2010

Sabbatical: Stepping my way to the Main Event

So I've decided to take a bit of a break from my regular studies to take my shot at the step SnGs on Full Tilt in the hopes of earning a seat at the WSOP Main Event. I'm still playing some of my regular 10NL cash in the background, but my main focus is on the steps. So for the next little while I'll be chronicling my journey (hopefully) to the Main Event.

Tilt offers a wide range of steps but I decided to start with my comfort zone at Step 1, the $3.30 9-man turbos. First and second place get a ticket to Step 2, while 3rd-5th get to replay Step 1. The first attempt was a failure. I was completely card dead and ended up bubbling in 6th when I shoved 87o on the button with about 3.5BB and the fairly loose BB called off half his stack w/ QJo and busted me. He wasn't that loose by normal SnG standards, but was playing far too loosely for a step satty. The right approach in these is to play very tight and take advantage of everyone else's tightness during the middle stages by stealing some blinds.

Thankfully my second attempt was a success. I was able to cruise through the bubble thanks to a nice triple-up when I got all in w/ AA against two villains, both with JJ. That's a fantastic feeling, getting all in w/ AA against two villains and seeing them both flip over the same hand, killing a good number of their outs. I played very tight after that, coming out of my shell every now and then to raise for value (usually taking down the blinds), and then once we got to 3-way (the bubble for the step 2 ticket) the bigstack knocked out the shortie and the step 2 ticket was mine.

On to step 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment