Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2010

What have I been playing during Kindergarden?

My first two years of online poker have been an interesting journey. I started with a deposit of ~$170 US (I'm Canadian, and my initial deposit was $200 CDN - my how the exchange rate has changed) on PokerStars, and decided to start out grinding the $1.20 NLHE SnGs. I tried a bit of cash NLHE but felt more comfortable playing tourney poker. So I grinded those for a while, made a bit of money (despite the ridiculous 20% rake), and then got bored. So I tried some other games, like Omaha and Omaha Hi-Lo. Didn't do very well and moved back to SnGs. Took a crack at the $5.50's but it was such a jump from $1.20 that I didn't feel comfortable, so I moved back down. Then I discovered turbo SnGs and tried playing some of the MTT versions. I did pretty well at the $1.10 45-turbos but found them mind-numbing after a while.

Eventually I decided to move some money over to FullTilt to clear bonus and get rakeback. Trying to clear bonus when you're a micro stakes player is a fool's game. I tried a bunch of different games at higher stakes (the only way to really clear bonus) and even though I cleared about $80 in bonus, I ended up breaking even by losing so much at the tables. So there I was with my small bankroll split between two poker sites.

To make a long story short, I bounced around quite a bit, in part because I tend to get bored focusing on a single game. And it's really hurt my development. I think it's important as a new player to find a game and really work at learning that game. Only after you've become comfortable (and profitable) at that game should you start learning others. Anyway, I recently settled into two games and have decided to focus my efforts there:
1) 45-turbo SnGs on Stars, starting again at $1.10
2) Micro stakes Rush NLHE on Tilt (have been playing .05/.10, but I think I'll drop down to .02-.05 for a bit now that they have those tables)

I'm focusing primarily on the 45-turbos because those seem to be my reliable money-maker, with some Rush thrown in for variety. I am still more comfortable in tourney poker but I want to develop my cash game. I like the new Rush Poker on Tilt for a few reasons: 1) since I don't have much time to play, it allows me to play greater volume in a brief session; 2) rakeback is fantastic; 3) it's a good training ground for developing my basic cash game skills.

In the next post I'll start setting my goals for Grade 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment